Ensuring Adequate Chief Security Officer Coverage
The average tenure for a Chief Security Officer (CSO or CISO) is between 18-26 months. With 24 percent of security leaders in the position for one year or less, companies need to ensure that they have reliable business continuity and robust leadership coverage in times of change. A virtual CISO service can solve this gap.
Why CISOs Leave?
There are a number of reasons why this role is seeing more turnover than others. From the constant pressure of possible breaches, and the stress that comes with that, to finding more lucrative positions and better working hours with vendors to firings when a cyber incident does occur to using movement as a way to see more promotions, the reasons vary, but four stand out.
High Stress & Burnout
Industry executives agree that data security leadership positions come with a lot of stress. In fact, some indicate that the levels of stress are leading to mental and physical medical complaints, and increased substance abuse. A CISO stress survey highlighted some startling statistics, indicating that CISOs are reporting:
- 88% were “moderately or tremendously stressed”
- 48% were experiencing a deleterious effect on their mental health
- 40% found stress was affecting their relationships with children or partners
- 25% felt that their boards didn’t accept or understand that “breaches are inevitable”
- 25% felt that their board would hold them personally accountable for any security incident
- 23% had turned to medication or alcohol because of stress levels
Promotion via New Job
Many CISOs and CSOs use job change as a way to move laterally or vertically for more perks and pay. Some find a new challenge, industry, or location brings a fresh start where a leader can apply their experience and skills.
A Virtual CISO can Bring Continuity and Stability
Retaining a virtual CISO, or using one during times of transition, can keep team morale high and help maintain a level of leadership when executives leave. It can also provide stability that keeps projects moving and productivity high. Our vCISO service offers flexible and affordable CISO leadership and experience you can control.